ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Dance Instructor, you will boldly lead girls in our innovative
program. While your main task is to teach dance and choreographic
skills, you also help build the confidence and thinking skills of our
girls with the end goal of preparing them for a future in STEM. You will
create and teach dance routines and facilitate students creating a
piece of their own that incorporates technology. You love working with
young people, have an electric energy that students love, and have a
passion for using dance to empower others. You will become a trusted
advisor and role model to our girls, with the belief that all girls have
the ability to succeed in STEM.
ABOUT STEM FROM DANCE
STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math, but it means much more than that. STEM is the science of using data and information to solve some of the world’s greatest problems. It features some of our country’s most high-impact and innovative jobs, yet it is greatly lacking in diversity. STEM From Dance gives girls of color access to a STEM education by using dance to empower, educate, and encourage them as our next generation of engineers, scientists, and techies.
STEM From Dance offers in-person and virtual programming.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Create and teach dance and facilitate students in creating their own choreography. Genres of dance that are prioritized are Hip-Hop, Contemporary, Afro-Caribbean, and more.
- Manage, assess, and adapt instruction based on students’ progress in and proficiency of dance.
- Co-lead, with a STEM instructor, a cohort of 15-20 girls and cultivate a collaborative, engaging, and empowering community and learning environment.
- Support general program operations and logistics.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Passion for and demonstrated interest in the STEM From Dance mission
- Demonstrated leadership ability, including being self-directed and entrepreneurial
- Excellent time management and organizational skills; exceptional communication skills
- Ability to build meaningful relationships with girls of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to think big, generate ideas, and implement solutions to complex problems
- Ability to be consistent, timely, and meet deadlines with focus, initiative, and drive
- Maintain a positive outlook, flexibility, and sense of possibility in stressful situations
- Educational background in and/or work experience with dance required; hip-hop dance preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in managing a classroom of 15-20 middle or high school students preferred.
- Previous experience teaching dance preferred.
- Experience teaching in an academically diverse and culturally responsive classroom community preferred.
- Experience being the “other” in a majority setting preferred.
STEM From Dance will follow all guidelines recommended by the CDC. We are also following DOE guidelines to adhere to the policies of the schools we'll be operating in. NYC DOE requires that all teachers and staff are vaccinated, and as SFD programming occurs within DOE schools, any SFD instructors who work in school buildings must be vaccinated as well.
Salary will be commensurate with experience between $35-$55/hr.