Development Director, Major Gifts
ABOUT THE ROLE
STEM From Dance is in an exciting moment in our growth to amplify impact nationwide and is thrilled to have the opportunity to welcome a Development Director to play a critical role in their next phase of growth. This role will be reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) with oversight of the Communications Manager and contracted Grant Writer.
STEM From Dance seeks an accomplished development professional to lead the organization’s fund development strategy and its execution. In partnership with the CEO, the Development Director will play an integral role in leading SFD’s development and fundraising functions, with a focus on major gifts, to support SFD’s continued growth, organizational effectiveness, and impact. This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who craves being a part of a meaningful mission, setting and implementing innovative strategies and meeting key goals, growing and mobilizing transformational relationships, and leveraging compelling external messaging to build sustainable funding for the organization.
ABOUT STEM FROM DANCE
STEM From Dance has been on a mission for over ten years to empower girls of color with the skills, experiences, and confidence to pursue careers in STEM — all through the power of dance. Through our Catalyze, Immerse, and Launch programs and the support of our community, they expand their creativity, boost their confidence, and learn how to use technology to create something bold.
At the start of 2022, our 10th anniversary, our leadership team cast a vision to scale impact to 10 million Black and brown girls in STEM careers and invest $10M annually into the mission. SFD is already on the path to becoming recognized nationally and globally as best in class at increasing the representation of Black and brown women in STEM fields, with a focus on the integration of performing arts and STEM.
STEM From Dance envisions a world where the STEM workforce is diverse, equitable, and inclusive, and women of color are creative, confident, and equipped to be its leaders and innovators. We seek team members ready to join us in this mission and who exhibit our Core Values.
Key Responsibilities of the Development Director include:
Strategy and Planning (40%)
- Develop, oversee, and implement organizational fund development strategy and planning.
- Refine and innovate on SFD’s approach to stewarding and managing resources with attention to long-term sustainability.
- Build organizational capacity for fundraising and development.
- Identify tactics and strategies to effectively engage and convert prospects to donors.
- Set and achieve ambitious annual and multi-year targets for support from foundations, individuals, and corporations; lead the development of new proposals for unrestricted and project-based support, with a focus on advancing equity.
- Lead efforts to identify, evaluate, and cultivate high-potential prospective supporters; be proactive in matching funder priorities to strategic initiatives.
Donor and Funder Relations (40%)
- Advance fund development strategy to yield an annual increase that supports $10M annual need in 8 years.
- Manage a portfolio of major gift donors ($5K+) with an FY24 revenue goal of $3 million.
- Develop and deepen transformational relationships with donors.
- Transform contacts into new relationships and make strategic asks according to donors’ potential.
- Develop and support robust, meaningful donor cultivation, stewardship, and recognition activities.
- Develop a new, large community of donors and prospects, through relationship-building and deep engagement to raise funds.
- Ensure appropriate and timely follow up occurs with donors, funders, and supporters.
- Apply an anti-racist lens to donor and funder relationships.
- Provide guidance to and support the board’s development efforts.
- Ensure donor data integrity and reinforce financial and data privacy controls
- Direct and support donor communications campaign via social media, direct mail and/or other communications channels.
Leadership, Operations and External Messaging (20%)
- Support cohesive external messaging in collaboration with the CEO and Development and Communications team.
- Ensure all messaging is consistent with the case for support for STEM From Dance and shape compelling campaigns, proposals, and pitches for philanthropic support.
- Lead regular analysis of fundraising efforts to inform strategy and direction, and coordinate data reporting on fundraising efforts.
- Maintain current knowledge of important development trends in the relevant regional and national fundraising landscapes.
- Represent STEM From Dance at external meetings and events.
This position offers a competitive salary of $100,000-120,000
NYC, New York (preferred) or surrounding areas
STEM From Dance is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.