ABOUT THE ROLE
As a STEM Instructor, you will boldly lead girls in our innovative program. While your main task is to teach STEM skills, you also help build the confidence and thinking skills of our girls with the end goal of preparing them for a future in STEM. You will facilitate learning about computer science, how it integrates with dance, and how students can bring their very own ideas to life. You love working with young people, have an electric energy that students love, and have a passion for using STEM to empower others. You will become a trusted advisor and role model to our girls, with the belief that all girls have the ability to succeed in STEM.
ABOUT STEM FROM DANCE
STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, but it means much more than that. STEM is the science of using data and information to solve some of the world’s greatest problems. It features some of our country’s most high-impact and innovative jobs, yet it is greatly lacking in diversity. STEM From Dance gives girls of color access to a STEM education by using dance to empower, educate, and encourage them as our next generation of engineers, scientists, and techies.
STEM From Dance offers in-person and virtual programming.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Teach STEM curricular lessons designed by STEM From Dance – topics are mainly computer science and engineering design – and facilitate the creation of student-led projects.
- Manage, assess, and adapt instruction based on students’ progress in and proficiency of hard and soft computer science skills.
- Co-lead, with a dance instructor, a cohort of 15-20 girls, and cultivate a collaborative, engaging, and empowering community and learning environment.
- Support general program operations and logistics.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Passion for and demonstrated interest in the STEM From Dance mission
- Demonstrated leadership ability, including being self-directed and entrepreneurial
- Excellent time management and organizational skills; exceptional communication skills
- Ability to build meaningful relationships with girls of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to think big, generate ideas, and implement solutions to complex problems
- Ability to be consistent, timely, and meet deadlines with focus, initiative, and drive
- Maintain a positive outlook, flexibility, and sense of possibility in stressful situations
- Educational background in or work experience with computer programming (any language) required.
- Demonstrated experience and maturity in managing a classroom of 15-20 middle or high school students preferred.
- Previous experience teaching computer science or a related subject preferred.
- Experience teaching in an academically diverse and culturally responsive classroom community preferred.
- Experience being the “other” in a majority setting preferred.
STEM From Dance follows all guidelines recommended by the CDC. We also follow the guidelines and protocols of any sites we operate in, including DOE sites. At this time, any SFD instructors who work in person with students must be vaccinated, or provide documentation for a medical or religious exemption.
Salary will be commensurate with experience between $35-$55/hr.
STEM From Dance is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.